Seed harvesting, drying and storage: basic aspects for improving and maintaining vegetable seed quality (Liveseeding)
Main objective of the workshop
Allow participants to better understand the physiological processes in the seed during the stages of maturation, drying and storage and stimulate reflection on practical/technical solutions to improve and maintain seed quality.
Short description of the workshop
The workshop will be divided into three parts:
- Introduction: sharing information from the Liveseeding seminar on seed quality at Wageningen University in April 2023 led by Steven Groot (PPP)
- Feedback from participants about the relevance of the topic: collecting questions and comments
- Exchange between participants: collecting information about best practices applied by practitioners present / resolutions for the future
The introduction will cover the following topics:
- The physiological processes in the seed during the pre-harvest late maturation phase, the process of drying and the period of storage,
- Pragmatic solutions to improve and maintain seed quality that do not necessarily require expensive hi-tech equipment and are thus accessible to small and medium sized enterprises.