Blanche Magarinos-ReyAttorney at the Paris Bar, specialized in Environmental Law.
Fulya BaturConsultant, facilitator and trainer
Fulya Batur – Consultant, facilitator and trainer specialising in international environmental law, biodiversity conservation and sustainable use of genetic resources, access and benefit-sharing legislation, intellectual property rights, seed laws and agricultural policy
Katherine DolanHead of policy at ARCHE NOAH
Riccardo BocciManager Director of Rete Semi Rurali
MSc in Agriculture, University of Florence he is the managing director of the Italian farmers’ seed network“Rete Semi Rurali. On behalf of Rete Semi Rurali he has been working on the following H2020 EU projects DIVERSIFOOD, DYNAVERSITY, LIVESEED, CERERE. He has been one of the five European experts on the Ad Hoc Technical Expert Group on Farmers’ Rights and vice chair of the Ad Hoc Technical Committee on Sustainable Use (ACSU) under the International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture (ITPGRFA). He has participated to the working group that delivered the Italian Guidelines for the Conservation of PGRFA, coordinated by the Ministry of Agriculture.
Round-table discussion on EU Seed marketing reform
Main objective of the workshop
This workshop is designed to provide a platform for in-depth discussions on the EU proposal for the conservation and dynamic management of plant genetic diversity. The objective of the workshop is to facilitate an examination of the proposal’s potential impacts, with a focus on various stakeholders in the seed, organic and biodiversity sectors. Through introductory statements, moderated discussions, and Q&A sessions, participants will delve into the implications of the proposal and explore key priorities for their respective organizations. The workshop aims to foster a multi-perspective dialogue on the proposed changes. Participants will also explore strategies to influence the proposal and contribute to its development.
- What would be the main impacts of the EU proposal for the conservation and dynamic management of plant genetic diversity in your opinion?
- What are their key priorities of your association/organisation for the reform: What should be kept and what should changed in the proposal? Are there elements that truly jeopardise your work? Is there anything missing?
Moderated discussion, including questions & comments from participants
Actor-based impacts (definition/consideration of activities (rights and obligations foreseen), access to market, governance)
- Impact on seed saver networks
- Impact on (organic) farmers
- Impact of small-scale seed breeders
- Impact on small-scale producers /maintainers
- Sustainability issues (and link with NGT proposal – absence of FSFS framework)
- How can we best influence the proposal / what steps are necessary?
Q&A, general discussion with audience